Nutrient Support for a Healthy Immune System
According to Standard Process, Congaplex was clinically studied for short-term immune support.1 This product contains whole food ingredients, including: organic alfalfa and buckwheat, nutritional yeast, and specialized protein extracts (Cytosol™ and PMG™) with ribonucleic acid (RNA), vitamins A and C, calcium, and magnesium.
RNAs are broken down to nucleotides in the digestive system. Research has shown the importance of providing nucleotides to tissues undergoing stress. When under stress, cells require extra raw materials such as nucleotides to maintain health.2
This vitamin plays an important role in a healthy immune system by facilitating the development of type 1 and type 2 helper T cells as well as contributing to the function of both T and B immune cells
As another key contributor to a healthy immune system, vitamin C supports the maturation of T cells, stimulates the functions of leukocytes, and is important in natural killer (NK) cell activity. Vitamin C also supports the maintenance and regeneration of cells.4,5
In an in vitro study, T lymphocyte cells treated with Congaplex showed statistically significant changes in cytokine levels and an increase in T cells (see Figure 1). Congaplex increased T cell signaling in a dose-dependent manner.1 In other words, this supplement works with the complex immune system response instead of simply upregulating or downregulating cell signals. Cell culture is a very simplified way to study these effects and comes with limitations. However, it does provide a starting point for future investigation and interesting hypotheses related to the underlying mechanism of action of Congaplex.*
Cytokines: signaling molecules that mediate and regulate immune functions
In Vitro: in cell culture, outside a living organism
Jurkat Cell: a line of T cells often used in immunologic research
T and B cells (T and B lymphocytes): white blood cells of the immune system.
We recommend taking Congaplex at the first sign of feeling sick OR if you know you have been or will be exposed to illness. It is great for short-term or long-term use according to our testing, even though the clinical studies were for short-term use. We take 6 up front and then 2-3 per hour while awake to knock out something acute. It’s the classic “take these and call me in the morning” remedy!
Congaplex is a must-have for every natural medicine cabinet.
Be Well & Thrive!
With Love & In Health,
Sarah Outlaw, MH, MSACN
- For more information on who we are and what we do at Natural Health Improvement Center of South Jersey and Natural Health Improvement Center of Des Moines, browse the rest of our website. We offer Root Cause Nutrition, Nutritional Coaching, Nutrition Response Testing, Functional Nutrition, Herbal Medicine, Flower Essence Therapy, and Homeopathy. We also offer detox services including an infrared sauna, and PEMF (pulsed electromagnetic field therapy mat, and foot bath (DSM office). We are on the front lines of wellness for you! Health starts here.
1. Hanlon PR, Robbins MG, Scholl C, Barnes DM. 2009. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 9:51.
2. Hess JR, Greenberg NA. 2012. Nutrition in Clinical Practice. Vol. 27(2): 281-294.
3. Mora, J. R., Iwata, M., & von Andrian, U. H. (2008). Nature Reviews. Immunology, 8(9), 685–698. http://doi.org/10.1038/nri2378.
4. Carr, A. C., & Maggini, S. (2017). Nutrients, 9(11), 1211. http://doi. org/10.3390/ nu9111211
5. Manning J, Mitchell B, et al. 2013. Antiox Redox Signal. 19:2054- 2067.
Nutrition for Optimum Immunity
Sign up to receive our free e-book.